Go back to normal view
Methodists in Ipplepen
The first Wesleyans were worshipping in the parish of Ipplepen long before the present chapel was opened in 1866. They met in a home in the hamlet of Dainton. As numbers increased, a chapel was built in 1826 behind the present "Archway Cottage". Again a rapidly expanding congregation required a new and bigger set of premises.
Mr. W J Powell, the architect of the Earl of Devon's estate, designed the present building and chose the limestone from the quarry Bulleigh Barton. Half the cost was defrayed by a donation of Mr. John Bowden, a corn and cider merchant who lived at Park Hill, and the foundation stone laid by the Revd W R Camidge on 6th June 1865. The building was opened for worship on the Summer of 1866.
Following the 1870 Education Act, the Ipplepen School Board rented the schoolrooms behind the chapel, and this was to be the village school for nearly 100 years. Several of the congregation received their primary schooling here.